Your team for post stroke care Dyer IN
During all the phases of your recovery and rehabilitation from a stroke, you will work with a team of professionals from many different disciplines. You will get to know your health care team, and need to feel comfortable addressing any post stroke recovery issues with them.
Following is a list of some of the specialists who may be involved in your recovery and rehabilitation.
- A Physiatrist specializes in rehabilitation following an accident, injury or illness. They are rehabilitation physicians who have completed training in physical medicine and rehabilitation
- A Neurologist is a doctor who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of stroke and other diseases of the brain and spinal cord
- A Rehabilitation Nurse specializes in helping people with disabilities and helping stroke patients manage health problems and adjust to life after a stroke
- A Physical Therapist works with stroke patients on movement and balance for walking and standing, and other large motor activities
- A Occupational Therapist assists stroke survivors with strategies to manage activities of daily living
- A Speech Language Pathologist works with patients to re-learn speech and language skills and to address problems with swallowing
- A Dietitian teaches stroke patients about healthy eating and special diets that may be needed
- A Social Worker helps post stroke patients make decisions about living arrangements, insurance concerns and support services that may be necessary in the home.
- A Case Manager helps with follow-up care, coordination of care, and accessing social services
- A Recreation Therapist teaches strategies to improve the thinking and movement skills necessary to participate in recreational activities
Remember that you need support, so be sure to use the resources you have. Be an active part of your team. There are many ways to get the support you need for your post stroke care Dyer IN.